Dresser Makeover - DIY Card Catalog
I am so in love with how this dresser turned out! We found this off on Craigslist years ago when we still lived in Philadelphia and for the past few years Roderick was using it. Now that Roderick refusing to sleep in his own room (this has been going on for almost a year now) I decided to turn his room into an office since it doesn't seem as though that will change any time soon! I've always really liked this dresser, the pretty moldings etc but I wanted a bit of an update to make it look less bedroom-y and a bit more office appropriate. I've always loved the vintage card catalogs and with the flat fronts of these drawers, I thought this would be an easy DIY!
Here is what I used
1. canvas squares - measure your dresser to see what size you'll need. My top drawer and bottom two drawers differentiated in size so I ordered 6in x6in for the top drawer and 8in x8in for the bottom drawers
3. staple gun
6. Razor Blades
7. Sand paper
First I figured out spacing of the squares. The bottom two drawers of this dresser were 7"x40" so I had to shave down the 8x8 squares by 1" using a razor blade so they would fit.
Once I got them all measured and placed I stapled them to the drawer fronts. Since I wanted each square to be as smooth as possible I decided to spackle over the staples.
Once the spackle was dry, I sanded them down and painted 3 coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White on top. After they were dry I lined each drawer pull up with the center of the square and screwed it in. I decided not to paint the entire dresser because I really loved the integrity of the moldings of the piece and I also feel like it gives it more of a vintage feel. So happy with how it turned out!